There’s nothing quite like a duckling to tug on the heart strings. The sight of those fluffy little bodies toddling along after their mummy brightens my soul. So for an activity primarily aimed at the kids it will do a pretty good job of entertaining the parents too (there will be ooohs and aaahs aplenty from us anyway). Along with the mallard and coot ducklings and chicks, word on the duckweed has it that the greater flamingos as well as the black-necked swans are sat on their eggs as we speak, so this year’s Downy Duckling Week at Martin Mere looks set to be a full-on cutefest (and educational of course!). During half-term families can take part in egg candling workshops (where a light is used to look inside an egg to see the embryo), watch eggs hatching and meet fluffy ducklings in the nursery.
As well as the Duck Hunt, visiting Martin Mere is a wonderful way to get children engaged with nature and the outdoor world and there are lots of extra activities running over the holidays to encourage this:
- Otter talk: Meet three cheeky Asian otters as you watch them forage, swim, rest, sleep and bath in the sunshine, daily at 11.30am and 2.30pm
- Come and learn about the flamingos and see their chicks in a daily flamingo talk at 3pm
- Take part in family crafts between 1pm and 4pm in the Wigeon room (some crafts have a small charge)
- Have a go at den building and swing, climb, clamber, splash and play in the adventure playground
- Canoe safari & boat tours: pick up a paddle and canoe your way around or drift along on a boat tour (£7 per canoe, seats 3. £3 per boat seat). Click here for further information on the canoe safari and boat tours
- Wild walk: Have a muddy adventure with wobbly bridges, mucky meadows, a reedy ramble and hidden treasures. Click here for further information about Wild Walk
We think this is a wonderful half-term activity and we are really excited to be able to give away three family tickets (two adults and two children per family ticket) for admission to Martin Mere over the holidays. The tickets can be used anytime between 27 May 2017 and 4 June 2017. To enter you will need to head over to our Facebook Page, please like our page and the competition post and comment win. The closing date is 8pm 19 May 2017.
Competition Terms and Conditions 1. There are three prizes of a family ticket (two adults two children) to Martin Mere between 27 May and 4 June 2017. The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered 2. Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Rainy City Kids Ltd and WWT Martin Mere Wetland Centre 3. Closing date for entries is 8pm 19 May March 2017. Entrants must like the competition post on Facebook and comment WIN on the competition post on Facebook. 4. The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries 5. The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date. 6. The winner’s name will be available on request 7. The winner will be required to provide their full name which will be provided to WWT Martin Mere Wetland Centre, and will needed to be provided to the admissions desk at your visit. This is a joint promotion between Rainy City Kids Ltd and WWT Martin Mere Wetland Trust 8. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Rainy City Kids Ltd and not to any other party. 9. Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions