Top Trumps, do I need to say anything else? ‘Weight 10kgs, yes! Winner! Hand over that card’, Someone please tell me what made this incredibly simple idea so very, very addictive?
Either way, I’m pretty excited to say Martin Mere are hosting a Wildlife Ranger event throughout the summer holidays, which includes a giant Top Trumps game. What a great way to get the young ones (and let’s face it the adults) engaged in wildfowl conservation. Collect your cards at the entrance and play against the 12 giant cards in the waterfowl gardens. Entrants who win five of 12 cards can head to the daily award ceremony to collect their wildlife ranger sticker at the end of the day. Cool.
Wildlife Rangers (aka kids) can also enjoy:
- Tribal Tracks – join the tribe at the wetland tepees. Make natural headdresses and follow footprints and other clues to track a mystery animal
- Canoe safari – paddle through beautiful waterways and come face-to-face with kingfishers, water voles, dragonflies and other wetland wonders
- Pond exploring – what fascinating creatures can you catch in your net, identify and log?
And if you can’t make it over summer there are some great events running into September. Animal Magic on 23 and 24 September invites some more exotic animals to the reserve; including meerkats, crocodiles, greyhounds (ok not so exotic), owls, scorpions, badgers and much more.
As well as these organised events there are the usual fab activities:
- Otter talk: Meet three cheeky Asian otters as you watch them forage, swim, rest, sleep and bathe in the sunshine (11.30am and 2.30pm)
- Canoe safari & boat tours: Pick up a paddle and canoe your way around or drift along on a boat tour (£7 per canoe, seats 3. £3 per boat seat). Don’t worry if there is a slight wait: there is also den-building and a children’s play area by the canoes. Click here for further information on the canoe safari and boat tours
- Feeding the birds: Get nose to beak as friendly ducks and geese scramble to feed from your hand. Pick up a bag of grain for £1.
- Wild walk: Have a muddy adventure with wobbly bridges, mucky meadows, a reedy ramble & hidden treasures. Click here for further information about Wild Walk
- Pond dipping: Pick up a net and see what creatures are lurking beneath the water. Every day from 11am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm
- Make a craft in the family room between 11am to 4pm. Some crafts do have a small charge
- Swing, climb, fly, play and travel across the adventure playground ‘Rushes’ – suitable for all ages and abilities
The thing with Martin Mere though is, you don’t need to take part in these activities to enjoy it. It is such a peaceful space, it feels like the pace of life steps down at least three gears here. I challenge anyone (small or big) to resist the boardwalks and birds, shady play areas, wild trails and boats.
We think this is a wonderful summer holiday activity and we are really excited to be able to give away three family tickets (two adults and two children per family ticket) for admission to Martin Mere over the holidays. The tickets can be used anytime until 30 September 2017. To enter all you need to do is type ‘Win’ and your full name in the comment box at the bottom of this post. Please note, whilst there will only be three winners this giveaway is also running on Facebook and Instagram. Why not double your chances and enter there too! For more information on all these activities head over to the Martin Mere website, and good luck!
Competition Terms and Conditions 1. There are 3 prizes of a family ticket to to Martin Mere valid until 30 September 2017. The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered 2. Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Rainy City Kids and Martin Mere 3. Closing date for entries is 11 August 2017. Entrants must comment win on this post OR on the Rainy City Kids Facebook post for the same prize OR follow Rainy City Kids on Instagram, tag a friend and comment win on the competition Instagram post. 4. The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries 5. The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date. 6. The winner’s name will be available on request 7. The winner will be required to provide their email address and postcode in order to collect their prize. Tickets will be provided to the winner by Martin Mere. This is a joint promotion between Rainy City Kids and Martin Mere 8. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Rainy City Kids and Martin Mere and not to any other party. 9. Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.